Cate remains the top-ranked team in the Super Seven after going 1-0-1 against against two good opponents last week. In the tie at unbeaten Santa Ynez, the Rams played without playmaking midfielder Ema Boateng, who was nursing an eye injury.
San Marcos jumped into the No. 5 spot after earning a draw against unbeaten Ventura.
SANTA BARBARA COUNTY SUPER SEVEN (1/9/2012)
1) Cate (4-1-1) — def. Carpinteria 2-0; tied Santa Ynez 1-1. Rams’ six opponents play in higher divisions. Goalkeeper Blake Wand was huge in both matches last week.
2) Santa Ynez (9-0-3) — def. Lompoc 6-2; tied Cate 1-1. Pirates are the county’s only unbeaten team.
3) Santa Barbara (11-4-3) — def. Buena 3-1. Dons were in championship form in second half against Buena.
4) Cabrillo (8-3-4) — def. Mission Prep 9-0; def. Santa Maria 3-1. Offense is clicking for Conquistadores.
5) San Marcos (5-4-4) — def. Dos Pueblos 2-1; tied Ventura 1-1. Royals getting solid goalkeeping and defense.
6) Carpinteria (5-5-0) — lost to Cate 2-0. Warriors playing well but struggling to finish chances.
7) Pioneer Valley (7-4-1) — lost to Paso Robles 4-1; def. Arroyo Grande 1-0. Panthers showed character with win over AG.
On the bubble: Righetti (6-5-1) — lost to Arroyo Grande 3-1